Policy and Guidelines for Media Inquiries 05/01/2020
Policy: Alberta Residential Landlord Association is committed to represent members interests and provide education for the betterment of the Residential Rental Industry.
Purpose: The purpose of this policy is to establish a guideline for responding to media inquiries.
Scope: This policy applies to any inquiries made by media and applies to all ARLA Board members and staff.
Responsibility: The Executive Director is responsible for organizing media events and acts as a point of contact for media inquiries.
The Executive Committee is responsible for approving key messages and appointing, as needed, a member of ARLA Board of Directors, usually the President, to speak on behalf of the organization.
Definitions: Media: includes, but is not limited to, print media including local and national newspapers and magazines; electronic media including television and radio; new media including social media and online news media as well as freelance journalists, bloggers, etc. and meetings with Government and City officials.
Rules: 1. Any media inquires shall be informed that “as per ARLA media policy”, all media inquiries and requests are coordinated through the Executive Director.
2. No attempt to respond to any inquiry or request shall be made without the consent or knowledge of the Executive Director and Executive Committee.
3. Media shall not be sought out or contacted on behalf of ARLA, without the consent of the Executive Committee.
4. Inquiries related to good news stories or positive public relations shall still be forwarded to the Executive Director. 5. Media releases shall be reviewed by the Executive Committee. If contact is to be made with the media or releases are to be drafted, these shall be coordinated through the Executive Director.
6. Requests for third party media releases to be distributed internally or externally shall be sent through the Executive Director.
7. If contacted by the media outside of normal office hours, the protocol shall still apply. Requests shall be referred to the Executive Director. If the matter is urgent, the Executive Director shall be contacted via email or telephone immediately.
8. ARLA recognizes that a strategic approach to media relations is crucial to building mutually beneficial and trusting relationships with City of Edmonton officials, Government of Alberta officials, news, and media. Such relationships will help foster accurate, balanced, and fair reporting; increase positive coverage and protect ARLA’s reputation.
9. Personal opinions if expressed, should be noted that they are not necessarily the opinions of ARLA members.
Office Hours: Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 3:30 pm *Closed Thursday, June 3oth at 12pm Office is closed on all statutory holidays and for all scheduled monthly events & meetings.
Alberta Residential Landlord Association #208 10544 - 106 Street Edmonton, AB T5H 2X6 Phone: (780)-413-9773 Fax: (780) 423-5186 Email Contacts: Donna Monkhouse, Executive Director email@example.com Brittany Dorado, Executive Assistant Events& Member Development firstname.lastname@example.org